The Hunts

The Hunts

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Life in Perspective

This is a different post for me, but one I thought was very much needed. I heard from a former co-worker of mine today that her 9 month old granddaughter was just diagnosed with cancer, with a tumor that's too large to operate on and has begun chemo and steroid therapy. They discovered the tumor 3 days after a routine doctor visit after little Maddy wasn't using her legs. Children's Hospital discovered the tumor was pushing on her spinal cord, paralyzing her lower half of her body. There's a 50/50 chance she will regain full mobility.

I've never met the daughter or granddaughter, but have spent majority of the day today fighting back tears for them. Now a Mom myself, I can't even imagine having the strength to watch your innocent child go through anything like that - I thought watching Avery get shots was hard!

It's things like this that really make you realize how precious life is and how easily it is to take the things you do have and the people in your life for granted. I realize how fortunate I am for having a loving family, a devoted husband and healthy baby girl. Also, it makes me remember all the couragous women I know in my life who have fought their own battles in life. The friend who lost her first baby at 7 months in the womb but had 2 more beautiful children afterwards and is a fantastic Mom; the friend who went through 2 miscarriages between kids 1 & 2 and has #3 on the way and is seriously super mom; the family friend who is still trying to get a diagnosis for why her baby continues to have mysterious allergic reactions but is raising 2 of the most brilliant, beautiful girls; and my friend who was faced with the decision to remove the 99% chance of someday undergoing breast cancer and endured months of pain and recovery. You are all my heros!

Please keep little Maddy in your prayers as well as the babies close to your heart and the parents who worry about them every second from the minute they find out they are going to be a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment